DIY Organic Shampoo for Your Dog
DIY Organic Shampoo for Your Dog
There is a wide range of doggie shampoos available on the market these days, and choosing the right one to suit your four-legged family member’s needs can be extremely difficult. Imagine if you could formulate your dog’s own shampoo the way you want to, as much as you want and whenever you want. Fortunately for you, you can! Here is a DIY organic doggie shampoo recipe that you can easily follow at home!
Why Make Your Own Organic Doggie Shampoo?
There are several reasons that some people prefer to make their own doggie shampoo instead of buying commercially sold ones. For example, making your own organic shampoo can save time and money. The ingredients for the shampoo can be cheaply bought from the market and you can make as much as you want. Plus, you don’t have to take a trip to the pet store every time you run out.
Another benefit of DIY organic shampoo is that you know exactly what the ingredients are and where they’re from. You can even adjust the ingredients to fit your dog’s needs. By making your own doggie shampoo, it is almost as if you have an unlimited supply of tailor-made shampoo for your canine companion at home.
Ingredients and Materials
- 1 empty squeeze bottle – 12-16 oz. (larger if you want to make 2x the amount)
- 1/2 cup organic liquid castile soap – made from olive oil, this gentle substance will serve as the base for your doggie shampoo.
- 1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar – fights odor and repels fleas, keeping your pup smelling lovely. It also adds gleam to your dog’s fur.
- 1 tbsp. organic olive oil – this essential oil is conditioning. It also helps prevent your dogs hair from drying out.
- 2 tbsp. water – for mixing and diluting
- Organic lavender essential oil – Lavender has a calming property, which could be beneficial during bath time. It is also a natural tick and flea repellant.
- Organic eucalyptus oil – fights unwanted odor, fleas, ticks and can help soothe sensitive skin.
- Using a funnel, pour 1/2 cup of organic liquid castile soap into the squeeze bottle.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the castile soap.
- Put in a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Put in 4 drops of lavender essential oil and 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to the mixture.
- Shake well. Make sure to shake before use because the ingredients tend to settle at the bottom of the bottle.
Note: You can adjust the amount of the essential oils you put in the shampoo. You can play around with the ratio, depending on how you want it. If you want to add other essential oils, just make sure that it is safe for your pet and not to use too much of it.
How to Use
- Wet your pup with lukewarm water and apply an ample amount of shampoo. This is not a tearless shampoo so avoid the eye area.
- Lather well.
- Rinse thoroughly and completely.
- Towel dry and groom Fido any way you want.
- Enjoy the rest of the day with a fresh-smelling and happier pup!
It will be fun creating your own shampoo for your dog, especially if you can see how effective it is in keeping your pup’s coat beautiful and healthy looking. However, if you prefer to leave shampoo making to the professionals, Nuvet has various shampoo products.
Some of the NuVet shampoo products include a hypoallergenic conditioning shampoo for dry skin, tearless puppy and kitten shampoo, soothing tea tree shampoo, and odor control pet shampoo. All of NuVet’s shampoo products are soap and detergent free so they will not extract crucial oils from your pet’s skin.
Aside from keeping your pet’s fur in top condition, it is just as important to maintain their inner beauty. To do this, give them a nutritional pet supplement such as NuVet Plus. NuVet Plus helps keep your pet healthy from the inside out.
NuVet Plus is made from natural ingredients and is manufactured in a FDA registered lab which is why more and more dog parents are choosing NuVet Plus for their pets. See what dog lovers have to say about NuVet products on NuVet’s Facebook page.